According to various reports, the so-called Islamic State has accepted responsibility for the attack in an Orlando LGBT nightclub in which a gunman killed over 50 people.
“The attack that targeted a nightclub for homosexuals in Orlando, Florida and that left more than 100 dead and wounded was carried out by an Islamic State fighter,” ISIS said in a statement according to The Hill. The FBI still has not confirmed the statement.
As it stands now, 50 people were killed and 53 others were injured early this Sunday morning when 29-year-old gunman Omar Mateen opened fire inside the Pulse nightclub in what is now being called the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. Mateen, an American citizen who lived in Port St. Lucie, Florida, was killed at the scene in a shootout with police. He was reportedly armed with an AR-15 assault rifle and a handgun.
Various reports say Mateen phoned 9-11 shortly before the shooting and pledged his allegiance to ISIS. It’s still not known if he had any contacts within the terror group.
From the Independent:
The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the largest advocacy group for Muslims in the US, has asked the Muslim community to donate blood to those injured in the attack.
Rasha Mubarak, the Florida chapter’s Orlando regional co-ordinator, said: “We condemn this monstrous attack and offer our heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of all those killed or injured. The Muslim community joins our fellow Americans in repudiating anyone or any group that would claim to justify or excuse such an appalling act of violence.”
The City of Orlando’s website has so far released six of the names of deceased victims.