Companies are now beginning to pull their advertisements from Sean Hannity‘s Fox News show following the repeated peddling of conspiracy theories surrounding murdered Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich.
According to The Huffington Post, Cars.com, an automotive classified site, removed their ads from the Hannity’s show due to the nature of its content.
“The fact that we advertise on a particular program doesn’t mean that we agree or disagree, or support or oppose, the content,” the company said in a statement. “We don’t have the ability to influence content at the time we make out advertising purchase. In this case, we’ve been watching closely and have recently made the decision to pull our advertising from Hannity.”
Fox News has since retracted the story and removed all information relevant to the report from its website. However, Hannity continues to push the story on his Twitter account and radio program following the correct from Fox.
Spoke to many advertisers. They are being inundated with Emails to stop advertising on my show. This is Soros/Clinton/Brock liberal fascism https://t.co/WRCzfWVs9N
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) May 24, 2017
Hannity and other right-wing media outlets have claimed that Rich’s death last year in Washington, D.C., was connected to the WikiLeaks dump of hacked emails from Hillary Clinton’s campaign. Investigators have concluded that his murder was the result of a botched robbery attempt.
Media Matters for America, a not-for-profit group that monitors conservative media, posted a list of Hannity’s advertisers in an attempt to hasten the ad exodus and to encourage boycotts of the Fox host’s show.
“Sean Hannity is a professional propagandist for President Donald Trump, as well as a bigot, a sexist, and a conspiracy theorist,” the MMFA post read. “As host of Fox News’ Hannity, he has used his platform to advocate for authoritarian tactics toward the press, defend Trump’s obstruction of the investigation into collusion between the president’s associates and Russia, and attack judges who have ruled against Trump’s Muslim bans.”
“And all you in the liberal media, I am not Fox.com or Fox News.com. I retracted nothing,” said Hannity.
Featured image via YouTube