In a highly critical and inflammatory statement issued this Friday, China’s Ministry of Commerce called on other countries to take “joint actions” against the U.S. in response to President Trump’s moves on tariffs.
The statement slammed Trump as a “fickle” president who is “provoking a trade war” with his huge tariffs against China.
“This move is not only damaging bilateral interests but also undermining the world trade order,” the statement said. “China firmly opposes this.”
The Ministry also vowed to enact taxation on U.S. goods.
“We will immediately introduce taxation measures of the same scale and strength,” the statement said.
The statement added that all “economic and trade achievements previously reached by the two parties will no longer be valid at the same time.”
The move from China comes after Trump announced Friday morning that the U.S. would impose 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion-worth of Chinese goods.
— Eunice Yoon (@onlyyoontv) June 15, 2018
“My great friendship with President Xi of China and our country’s relationship with China are both very important to me,” Trump said. “Trade between our nations, however, has been very unfair, for a very long time. This situation is no longer sustainable.”
Trump also warned that the U.S. would ramp up its tariffs if China retaliated.
But China didn’t back down, saying that it has no choice but to “respond strongly.”
“We call on all countries to take joint actions, resolutely put an end to this outdated and regressive behavior, and firmly defend the common interests of humankind.”