CNN anchor Don Lemon is back on his show after taking a forced few days off due to his comments about Nikki Haley that many thought were sexist. Now TMZ is reporting that CNN warned Lemon that if he messes up again, he’s out.
“We’re told it was communicated to Don in no uncertain terms … the next time he insults his cohosts or creates a toxic environment (on or off-air) will be his last with the network,” TMZ’s report stated.
Lemon had been off the air since Thursday when he said the 51-year-old Haley was not “in her prime” during a segment on CNN This Morning. Lemon and fellow hosts Poppy Harlow and Kaitlan Collins were discussing Haley’s suggestion that presidential candidates over 75 should be given mental competency tests.
According to The New York Times, CNN CEO Chris Licht slammed Lemon during an call Friday, saying his remarks were “upsetting, unacceptable and unfair” and a “huge distraction.” Lemon reportedly apologized to staffers during the call. “I sat down with Don and had a frank and meaningful conversation,” Licht wrote in the Monday night memo. “He has agreed to participate in formal training, as well as continuing to listen and learn. We take this situation very seriously.”
Read the full report at TMZ.