According to an exclusive report from the Los Angeles Times, Fox News has canceled the show of one of its staunchest Donald Trump supporters, Lou Dobbs, who was one of the network’s most vocal proponents of baseless mass voter fraud conspiracy theories about the 2020 election.
Dobbs’ program will have its final airing this Friday. In its place will be a new show titled Fox Business Tonight with rotating substitute hosts Jackie DeAngelis and David Asman.
While Dobbs remains under contract with Fox News, the LA Times says that he will “in all likelihood not appear on the company’s networks again.”
The Fox Corporation and some of its most popular anchors are the on the receiving end of a $2.7 billion defamation suit filed by an election technology company targeted by baseless voter fraud conspiracy theories in the wake of the 2020 election, the New York Times reported on Thursday. Smartmatic filed the lawsuit in New York State Supreme Court on Thursday against the Fox Corporation, Dobbs, and fellow anchors Maria Bartiromo, and Jeanine Pirro. The lawsuit also targets pro-Trump lawyers Sydney Powell and Rudy Giuiani, who both played a huge role in disseminating the voter fraud claims publicly.
But the LA Times says the decision to boot Dobbs had been under consideration long before the Smartmatic lawsuit.
“…Fox News Media regularly considers programming changes and plans have been in place to launch new formats as appropriate post-election, including on Fox Business,” a Fox representative said in a statement. “This is part of those planned changes. A new 5 p.m. program will be announced in the near future.”
See advertising below: