The blog Earthly Mission put together some powerful photos that everyone should take time out to look at.
This is an attempt to grasp the absurdity of these two interlinked ideologies without showing dead bodies or fighting armies. Instead, I used some rarely published photographs that I find extremely fascinating.
Check out the series below:
1. Farmers await the opening of a slave fair in St. Louis, Missouri, 1852.
2. A slave showing his scars from repeated floggings, 1863.
3. A device that was probably meant to prevent slaves from escaping through small openings, such as windows, 1863.
4. The Edmonton ice hockey team, 1916. This picture shows how the swastika symbol was at one time somewhat universal and not associated with racism, being in use long before Hitler utilized it.
5. Hitler’s own designs for the Nazi Party symbol, 1920.
6. Mussolini is greeted with a giant letter M in the Italian village of Piemonte, 1928.
7. A German bomb with a message for Churchill, 1940.
8. A Canadian soldier searching Jakob Nacken, the tallest soldier in Hitler’s army, 1944.
9. A German “Rail Wolf” destroying train tracks in Italy, 1944.
10. A Japanese family returning to their home in Los Angeles after WWII, 1945.
11. Soviet soldiers with Hitler’s globe after WWII, 1945.
12. Segregation in North Carolina, 1950.
13. Paula Hitler, Adolph Hitler’s only sibling, 1954.
14. A Holocaust survivor bonks a skinhead on his skin head, 1985.
15. A British sailor removing the leg irons from a slave, late 1800s.
16. Klu Klux Klan at a carnival, 1925.
17. World’s Highest Standard of Living – A Margaret Bourke-White Photograph,1937.
18. A rare color photo of Adolf Hitler which shows his true eye color (date unknown).
19. US Government mockups of how Hitler could have disguised himself, 1940s.
20. The last photo taken of Adolf Hitler as he overlooks the damage in Berlin,1945.
21. This is what he saw.
22. A German soldier returns home only to find his family no longer there, Frankfurt, 1946.
23. A girl who grew up in a concentration camp draws a picture of “Home” while living in a residence for disturbed children, Poland, 1948.
24. Black children looking in on a whites-only playground, Mobile, Alabama 1956.
25. African girl in human zoo, Belgium 1958.
26. Black man drinking at white only fountain, 1964.
27. Nelson Mandela keeps his fists raised after he was sentenced to life imprisonment, June 1964.
28. Demonstrator at the Harlem Peace March to end racial oppression carries an anti-war sign, 1967.
29. The child of a KKK member approaches black state troopers, 1992.
30. A sign warning white residents in Johannesburg during apartheid times, 1956.