According to the Hollywood Reporter, the West Hollywood City Council is planning to vote on whether or not to seek the removal of Donald Trump‘s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
This Monday night, the council will vote on a resolution that urges the Los Angeles City Council and Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the star.
Since Trump became president, the star has been repeatedly vandalized and completely destroyed twice.
From the Hollywood Reporter:
The staff report for the resolution lists numerous reasons for the matter, including the separation of children from their parents at the border, the denial of the impacts from climate change on the word, Trump’s treatment of transgendered individuals and the denial of findings from the intelligence community of Russian interference in the 2016 election, among others.
“The City Council will consider adopting a resolution urging the Los Angeles City Council and Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove President Donald J. Trump’s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame, due to his disturbing treatment of women and other actions that do not meet the shared values of the City of West Hollywood, the region, state, and country,” the city council wrote in the resolution.
West Hollywood's City Council will vote on a resolution to permanently remove President Trump’s star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The resolution cites family separations, Trump's climate change denial and "his disturbing treatment of women" as reasons for removal. pic.twitter.com/EJsBVI23Vt
— AJ+ (@ajplus) August 6, 2018
“Having a ‘star’ on the Walk of Fame is a privilege that is highly sought after by those in the entertainment industry, allowing Mr. Trump to continue to have a star in light of his behavior toward women, particularly in the #timesup and #metoo movements, should not be acceptable in the Hollywood and entertainment industry communities,” the resolution continued.
The move contradicts a previously held position by the council that said it would never remove a star as a result of public backlash.
The council also pointed out in the resolution that the Walk of Fame is still the “property of the City of Los Angeles” and that the city has the “ultimate responsibility for the condition and maintenance of the Walk of Fame.”
Just weeks ago, a man took a pickaxe to Trump’s star and destroyed it.
The man, identified as Austin Clay, later admitted to destroying Trump’s star and turned himself in to the Beverly Hills police. He was reportedly bailed out by James Otis, who vandalized the star years ago.
Update: According to USA Today, the West Hollywood City Council voted unanimously on Monday night that Trump’s star should be permanently removed. But despite what some websites are claiming, that’s not going to get it done.
[Trump’s star] is the property of Los Angeles city – not West Hollywood. Plus, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce has refused past efforts to remove the stars of disgraced actors including Bill Cosby and Kevin Spacey.
“Once a star has been added to the walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame,” Leron Gubler, then president and chief executive of the chamber, said in 2015 during efforts to remove Cosby’s marker, the Los Angeles Times reported. “Because of this, we have never removed a star from the walk.”
This article will be updated further if anything new develops.
Featured image via Twitter