News

Death toll in Paris terror attacks rises to over 120, ISIS claims responsiblity

The death toll in Friday’s terror attacks has risen to 153 confirmed deaths, 200 wounded and 80 in serious condition, according to French officials.

ISIS  has claimed responsibility for Friday’s terror attacks that claimed the lives of 128 people and injured 180 while leaving 80 in serious condition, according to French officials.

A government spokesman said Friday night that France declared a national state of emergency and closed all of its borders as government officials attempt to sort through the carnage left behind by unknown suspected Islamic extremists.

A total of eight terrorists armed with AK-47’s and explosive belts, were involved in the attack of various locations around Paris, in what many are saying is the worst violence France has experienced since WWII.

New reports have confirmed the suspected terrorists targeted six locations close to the center of the French capital with one suicide bomber who carried out an attack near the soccer stadium Stade de France, killing four people. French president Francois Hollande was attending the France vs. Germany match that night and was quickly evacuated soon after the explosion.

The deadliest attack happened at the Bataclan concert hall where 112 people were reported to have been killed. American metal band “Eagles of Death Metal” was playing that night when four gunman burst into the main hall.

//

We are still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew. Our thoughts are with all of the people involved in this tragic situation.

Posted by Eagles Of Death Metal on Friday, November 13, 2015

 

Witnesses reported seeing the gunmen take up positions near the emergency exits to prevent the concert goers from escaping as they fired indiscriminately into the crowd of over 200 people.

“He had been performing and heard the gunshots,” said the brother of the band’s drummer who spoke to his brother following the attack. “The whole band heard the gunshots before they saw anything and stopped playing, hit the deck and kind of went backstage and exited as fast as they could.”

According to other witnesses, the gunman wore all black clothing but did not wear masks and they looked to be in their early 20s. One eye witness told Radio France that the attackers entered the hall shouting “Allahu Akbar” as they opened fire.

“We lied down on the floor not to get hurt. It was a huge panic,” said radio reporter Julien Pearce who was attending the concert. “The terrorists shot at us for 10 to 15 minutes. It was a bloodbath.”

A French police union official said SWAT units responded to the concert hall and quickly stormed the building once they heard shots were taking place inside. The siege ended with the teams killing the attackers and rescuing at least 100 hostages, some appearing to be wounded and covered with blood.

According to the US State Department, Americans were among the injured in the attack.

More attacks took place at a nearby Cambodian restaurant, Le Petit Cambodge, where roughly 14 people were also killed by gunmen who were firing from the street.

“All of a sudden we heard huge gunshots and glass coming thought the windows,” said Charlotte Brehaut, patrons of the popular restaurant. “We ducked with the other diners.”

The Paris Prefecture of Police issued a statement the following morning, calling on all residents to stay indoors unless “there’s an absolute necessity.” Approximately 1,500 extra French soldiers arrived to assist the local police and emergency workers as they continue to hunt down any remaining victims or any known associates of the attackers.

The Islamic State took to Twitter Friday night to celebrate the attacks and claim responsibility:

Featured image via Twitter [This article has been updated]

Facebook Comment
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

To Top