Featured

Saudi Arabia is about to behead a teenager for a attending a protest when he was 15

Abdullah al-Zaher: Saudi Arabia is about to behead a teenage boy for attending a protest aged 15

Saudi Arabia is preparing to execute 19-year-old Abdullah al-Zaher for “being in the area of a protest” when he was the age of 15.

Saudi Arabia is preparing to execute 19-year-old Abdullah al-Zaher for “being in the area of a protest” when he was the age of 15.

As part of a recent crackdown on dissenters, Al-Zaher’s planned execution comes on the heals of last month’s announcement for the mass execution of 50 Saudi citizens. Charged with “terrorism,” many of those awaiting to be executed were arrested mainly for protesting and political organizing while under the age of 18.

Now 19, al-Zaher was reported to have been beaten by police and later tortured while in jail. He was forced to sign a confession, which his family claims was under coercion and he not did comprehend.

After al-Zaher’s family unsuccessfully appealed to the Saudi government, they went public with their story and spoke to The Guardian.

“Please help me save my son from the imminent threat of death,” said Hassan al-Zaher, Abdullah’s father. “He doesn’t deserve to die just because he participated in a protest rally.”

Reprieve, a global campaign group, is attempting to convince the Saudi government to spare the lives of al-Zaher and two other teenage prisoners, Dawoud al-Marhoon and Ali Mohammad al-Nimr, who were also arrested on similar charges. Al-Nimr’s case is gaining world wide interest, as he is the cousin of Sheikh Nimr, who is a famed political activist set to also be executed.

“What we know from the families of the three is that they are in solitary confinement and being prepared for execution,” said a representative for Reprieve. “They have been moved and undergone medical examinations, which seem to suggest their beheading is imminent.

The whole business of executions in Saudi Arabia is shrouded in secrecy, and prisoners are often beheaded without any notice to family or lawyers.”

The government of Saudi Arabia stubbornly continues to ignore international protests. Humanitarian organizations are calling for Saudi Arabia’s allies to condemn the upcoming executions, but no nation has yet spoken out against the government’s recent actions.

Facebook Comment
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Michael Vinson

    December 18, 2015 at 3:44 am

    Maybe it’s about time for world-wide sanctions against SA. All commerce ends, all tourism ends, regulate flights inbound and outbound, complete and utter isolation from the rest of the world.

  2. Simon Peters

    December 18, 2015 at 10:24 am

    Marvellous idea, Michael, if only governments worldwide weren’t so eager to maintain their commercial contacts with the Saudis. Shame on them, and shame on the Saudis.

  3. Pingback: Who was Nimr Baqir Al-Nimr? - RiyadhVision

  4. Pingback: 38% drop in private sector Saudi employment - RiyadhVision

  5. Pingback: Students urged to join academic competition - RiyadhVision

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

To Top