The pro-Trump One American News (OAN) network has been struggling since it was dropped by DirecTV in April. Now, the last largest TV carrier to host the network announced that it plans to drop the network from its platform at the end of the month, The Daily Beast reports.
This Thursday, Verizon Fios said it was unable to come to terms with the network’s owners on a new agreement.
“Our negotiation with OAN has been a typical, business-as-usual carriage negotiation like those that routinely happen between content distributors and content providers. These negotiations were focused on economics, as they always are, but OAN failed to agree to fair terms,” a Verizon spokesperson said in a statement.
“Since we were unable to reach an agreement, effective July 31, 2022, we will no longer have the rights to provide our customers with this programming, and it will be removed from the Fios TV lineup,” the statement continued.
“Our company has long advocated for providing customers with the ability to choose what content they want to watch, and our Fios TV platform offers a wide and diverse choice of programming options, including a la carte options, that strive to meet our millions of customers’ various content needs and preferences.”
From The Daily Beast:
Following DirecTV’s decision to drop the pro-Trump channel, depriving OAN of its biggest revenue stream by far, the channel has gone through an existential crisis. Besides dealing with a talent exodus and dropping employee morale, One America News also faces billion-dollar lawsuits over the election lies spread by its hosts.
Meanwhile, even as the network has lobbed attacks at Verizon as their deal was about to expire, CEO Robert Herring Sr. has begged other cable companies to pick up the struggling channel. He even went so far as to peddle far-fetched rumors that Elon Musk was going to buy the network (something Musk quickly shot down.)
In January, OAN founder Robert Herring Sr. called on his viewers to contact their cable providers and ask them to carry his network. “I’m sure by now a lot of you have heard the news that AT&T and DirecTV have decided to take us off their service,” Herring said in a video clip flagged by Media Matters. “It was a major surprise to me when I read it in the news last Friday night, as I’m sure it was to you.”
Read the full report over at The Daily Beast.